Are You Eligible For a Medical Marijuana License in the State Oklahoma?

Medical marijuana in a woman’s hands
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

If you’re tired of your regular prescription medicines, their side effects, and in some cases, their ineffectiveness, then it’s time that you look into other options. One of the most effective treatments for many ailments is cannabis. However, to get on the treatment in Oklahoma, you need a valid medical marijuana license to purchase the product legally.

To start the process, the first thing you need to do is find a doctor who will help you look into medical marijuana as a treatment option. Any state-licensed MD,DO, or Podiatrist in good standing is allowed to recommend this treatment; however, some doctors are reluctant and others are employed in a facilty that is Federally funded are not allowed to.. You may want to do some research and look for doctors that have cannabis-focused treatments.  The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) has a list of physicians that chose to register with the State of Oklahoma when it was required they do so. It is always best to start with your doctor and see how they feel about cannabis.

Physician Recommendation Forms are provided by the physician at the appointment. You will need to visit OMMA.OK.Gov and create an account for yourself by providing some general information about yourself and use an email and password you keep in a safe place in order to complete the application. If you are not computer savvy, places such as Green Hope Wellness Clinic will help you through completion of the onli9ne application for a small fee.

What Are The Qualifying Conditions:

Most state laws have a set list of specific medical conditions that qualify you for a medical marijuana license, but Oklahoma does not. This judgment is left on doctors and physicians who will be the deciding factor for whether you can get your license or not.

According to state law, the state authorities cannot decide who can and cannot get a license; this decision is left to the doctors. This is why finding a doctor that is open to the discussion is very important if you are looking at cannabis as a medical treatment option.  If you feel that your condition could improve or you could benefit from medical marijuana and your doctor refuses to recommend it, you can visit another doctor for a second opinion.

Even though there is no actual list for Oklahoma, there is a list of conditions that have shown positive results with cannabis treatment. These conditions are cannabis-treatment friendly doctor-approved often:

  • Chronic pain
  • Severe nausea
  • Epilepsy
  • Anxiety/Depression
  • Spasticity
  • Muscle Spasms/Pain
  • Glaucoma
  • Inflammation
  • Cancer
  • Neuropathic Pain Disorders
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Eating Disorders
  • Migraines

What You Need Before You Apply For The License:

Once your physician has given you a recommendation form, you have 30 days to complete the online form in order to get your license. Make sure you have the following things ready to go so you can complete your form without any trouble:

What You Need Before You Apply:

You will need to provide digital, color copies of the following:

  • Proof of Oklahoma Residency (any of the following):
    • Oklahoma driver’s license
    • Oklahoma ID card
    • Oklahoma voter identification card
    • A utility bill for the calendar month preceding the date of application (no phone or internet bills)
    • A residential property deed to the property in the State of Oklahoma
    • A current rental agreement for residential property located in the State of Oklahoma
  • Proof of Identity (any of the following):
  • Minors that do not have state IDs will need an original birth certificate with the watermark.
    • Oklahoma driver’s license – If your physical address is on your license, you do not need to provide another form for proof of residency,
    • Oklahoma identification card
    • Passport or other photo identification issued by the U.S government
    • Tribal identification card approved for identification purposes by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety:
      • United States Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card or an Oklahoma tribal photo identification cards: Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma, Kiowa, Comanche, Apache of Oklahoma, Absentee Shawnee, Cheyenne-Arapaho, Choctaw, Delaware, Caddo Nation of Oklahoma issued on or after January 8, 2008.

You also need a properly and completely filled-out physician’s recommendation form. If applicable, your Medicaid,) Medicare, or Sooner Care   insurance card  is also required.


What You Need During The Application:

  • Patient’s full name
  • Proof of identity
  • Address, and proof of residency
  • Date of Birth
  • Phone
  • Email address
  • Physician’s contact information
  • Clear, color, full-face digital photograph (like a passport photo)

What You Need To Know About the Application

Minors under 18 years old are required to see 2 physicians and get 2 recommendations. Most doctors require something with a clinical diagnosis for their records and they will need a parent or legal guardian to accompany them in a dispensary to make a purchase. Patients with valid out-of-state licenses are not required to see a physician to get a temporary 30-day card by going to the OMMA website and applying for $100.  There is a short term license that is also available as well. This is a 60-day license that is recommended by doctors to patients who they think will only need cannabis treatment for a limited amount of time such as post-surgery for pain control.  The state of Oklahoma charges  $100 for all patients and $20 for those who qualify for the discount to process your application. If you get a letter from the Veteran’s Administration or any other applicable federal agency stating that your disability status is 100%, you will be eligible for this discount. This letter needs to be submitted with the application to be viable.


What’s Next?

Once you have followed all the steps and have received your medical marijuana license, you need to find a place to recommend the right cannabis treatment for you. You can find a clinic or dispensary with trained and knowledgeable staff that will recommend the right medication for you. In Oklahoma, get in touch with us at Green Hope Wellness so we can guide you on the right path.

Enjoyed Reading? Help Us Get The Word Out!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email


Scroll to Top