Frequently Asked Questions About MMJ Laws in Oklahoma


Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Medical Marijuana laws in Oklahoma that you need to know.

A. The first step is to schedule an appointment with our licensed doctors. If they feel your condition qualifies for treatment, they will write you a recommendation for medical marijuana treatment.

A. The decision of who to approach for assistance obtaining your recommendation will depend on your individual healthcare situation. If you have a primary care physician who is experienced with your medical history and current treatments, that’s a good place to start. Your primary care physician should be able to provide guidance specific to your health needs and may be willing to issue a recommendation for you. Please note that your doctor must be certified with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program in order to issue recommendations. 

A.  At Green Hope Wellness, we do everything we can to help patients obtain their MMJ card so they can get the proper treatment they need. Suppose you have concerns regarding navigating the complexities of the application or have a disability that makes it challenging for you. In that case, you can contact us, and we will streamline the process for you. Our website has a handicapped feature patients can access by clicking the icon on the bottom left of the home screen. 

A. Typically, many doctors recommend opioids as painkillers for post-op recovery. Cannabis has become a widely popular alternative to opioids because it does not have the same addictive effects as opioids. If you are not too keen on using cannabis post-op, you could consider getting alternative recommendations from your physician. However, we would strongly advise you to stick to obtaining an MMJ card instead of using opioids.

A. No, you don’t need to get your renewal from the same physician or location that you obtained your original recommendation from. Working with us, you will not have to worry about finding physicians who will sign off on medical marijuana recommendations.

A. GHW may use your information to provide Products and Services and to allow you to access and use the website. GHW may use your information to improve its Products and Services. GHW may use your information for research. However, if GHW publishes its research, it will ensure you are not identified. 

GHW may use your information for promotional communications by email, postal mail, phone, or text messages. GHW may use your information for marketing, performance analysis, and data analytics. 

GHW may use un-identified data for any purpose, including research and marketing, and may share such data with any third parties. You can rest assured that protecting your privacy is an utmost priority at Green Hope Wellness.

Additionally, you are protected under HIPAA laws, and we are also legally obligated never to share any identifiable information about you with anyone for any purpose.

A. Yes, you can. The Oklahoma state senate voted 42-0 to pass Senate Bill 959. The unanimously supported bill prohibits the state from denying a concealed carry firearms permit to medical marijuana users despite ongoing federal cannabis prohibition.

A. We strongly advise against taking MMJ across any USA border (interstate or international). All borders are under federal jurisdiction, and marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law.  Even crossing a border between two states in which marijuana is legal can result in federal prosecution. 

A. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) was passed to set standards and requirements for the privacy and security of patient’s protected health information or PHI.

The law deals with the safe handling of personally identifiable health information. Any organization that handles this information in any way must comply with all aspects of HIPAA. There have been some misconceptions about MMJ companies not needing to comply with HIPAA because their business is federally illegal but allowed by their state.

However, since medical marijuana dispensaries require a valid MMJ card with PHI on it  to provide the product, that would classify them as a HIPAA-covered entity, ensuring the protection of your PHI.

A. You will need the following information to successfully obtain your Oklahoma medical marijuana patient card.

  • Proof of Oklahoma residency (a state-issued ID card or driver’s license is preferable)
  • Proof of identity (a state-issued ID card or driver’s license is preferable)
  • A working email address
  • A clear, color, full-face digital photograph
  • If applicable, the patient’s Medicaid, Medicare, or Sooner Care insurance card or enrollment documentation or a letter from the Dept. of Defense for 100% Disabled Veterans.

A. A patient license is valid for two years from the date it is issued unless the license is revoked by OMMA. After two years, you must renew your license by scheduling another consultation with our doctors.

A. If you have an MMJ card, you must update it every two years. You cannot submit your application over 30 days before the issuance date. Ideally, you should pursue renewing the application a month before the expiration. To do that, you must receive an evaluation from your doctor recommending the renewal. Beyond that, you need to complete the renewal application for MMJ in Oklahoma.

Your doctor must sign your renewal application before you send it to the authorities. Oklahoma officials don’t intervene in the medical process – they only require official approval from a doctor for the renewal. You must use the email address you used when first applying for your MMJ card through OMMA’s website. Overall, the renewal process is similar to the original application process.

A. Oklahoma residents must be 18 years or older to obtain a medical marijuana license. In some instances, minors can obtain a recommendation if two physicians sign off on it, as well as the parent or guardian.

A. The following information is required about the minor patient: 

  • Full name 
  • Residence and mailing address 
  • Date of birth/Birth Cert./OK state ID
  • Telephone number and email address (if applicable) 
  • Information about two recommending physicians 

The following information is required about the parent or legal guardian:

  • Full name 
  • Residence and mailing address 
  • Date of birth 
  • Telephone number and email address 
  • Signature dated within 30 days of the application date 

A. When a child who has obtained a minor recommendation for medical marijuana after two physicians, as well as their parents/guardian signed off on it, turns 18, they need to apply for a regular adult MMJ card in Oklahoma through the standard process for adults.

Minor licenses for the purchase of MMJ products expire 30 days after the patient’s 18th birthday. To ensure that the individual is continually licensed to purchase and use MMJ products, patients need to apply for an adult license soon after their 18th birthday and provide the following:

  • A new 2-year adult physician recommendation form
  • A recent photo, taken within the last six months
  • Valid proof of ID
  • Valid proof of residency

A. You can let the physician who you see for your MMJ card know that you would like a caregiver. According to Oklahoma law, a caregiver must be a family member or assistant who regularly looks after the medical marijuana patient for whom they are applying to be caregiver. The physician will sign a form stating your need for a caregiver and once you receive your card a caregiver can be added at no additional cost. This will allow them to purchase and or grow for the patient. The caregiver will be issued an ID they will use to make purchases for you

A. A medical marijuana caregiver license allows an individual designated by a patient—or a minor patient’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) – to assist the patient with the purchase, application, and administration of medical marijuana. This license will be in the form of ab ID card to prove an individual is a license holder. This card will contain the caregiver’s bane, photo, date of birth, city and county of residence, the type of license, expiration date, the caregiver’s unique medical marijuana license number, and the unique medical marijuana license number of the patient.

A. The following is required for a caregiver license:

  • Caregiver’s full name
  • Residence and mailing address
  • Date of Birth
  • Phone number and email address
  • Caregiver’s  signature
  • The name of the patient who is designating you as his or her caregiver.(Caregiver Designation Form)
  • The 24 character medical marijuana license number for the patient who is designating you as his or her caregiver. 

A. Yes, you can submit a Patient Withdrawal of Caregiver Form to withdraw a current caregiver. 

Do you have more questions regarding MMJ laws in Oklahoma and how we can help?

You can reach us at (405)543-7200 to find out more information. 

Scroll to Top